How does Vardenafil work and what pharmaceutical group does it belong to?
Erection of the penis is a haemodynamic process that is based on the relaxation of the cavernous body's smooth muscles and its arterioles. During sexual stimulation nitrogen oxide is released from the cavernous body's nerve ends and activates the enzyme cGMP. This results in relaxation of the smooth muscles in the cavernous body and increases blood flow to the penis. Vardenafil works by blocking PDE type 5(phosphodiesterase type 5) that is responsible for the inactivation of cGMP. This in its turn increases the amount of cGMP and improves erection.
Which conditions are treated with Vardenafil ?
Vardenafil is indicated for the treatment of erectile dysfunction manifested in inability to achieve and maintain erection, enough for the sexual intercourse.
What should a patient know prior to taking the medication?
- Vardenafil should not be taken in known hypersensitivity or allergy to any of the medication ingredients.
- Vardenafil is not intended to treat children and adolescents under 18 years of age.
- Vardenafil should be used with caution in prolonged QT interval, anatomical deformation of the penis, priapism, blood diseases, severe liver and kidney diseases, arterial hypotension, recent heart attacks and strokes, tendency to bleedings, aggravation of stomach ulcers, aortal stenosis, idiopathic hypertrophic
- Vardenafil is indicated only for men and should not be used by women.
Which adverse effects may manifest when using the medication?
The side effects of Vardenafil include: headache, hot flushing, dyspepsia, upset stomach, rhinitis, flu-like symptoms, increased levels of creatine kinase in the blood, nausea, dizziness, back pain.
In rare cases Vardenafil may cause arthritis, diarrhea, insomnia, muscle pain, blurred vision and others.
It is not necessary that the side effects will manifest in an individual but the possibility still exist. For more information please consult your health care provider.
Which groups of drugs or specific preparations may interact with Vardenafil?
The drug is affected by the following:
- Alpha blockers
- Heart arrhythmia medicines
- Certain antibiotics
- Grapefruit juice
- Protease inhibitors
Tell your doctor about all the herbal preparations as well as prescription drugs that you are currently taking even if they are not on the list.
Important information for the patient:
Vardenafil is supplied for individual use. Do not use it to treat other conditions not listed in the leaflet. Keep the product out of children reach. Do not reuse any disposable materials if supplied with the preparation.